Organizations and Businesses

Universal Sewer Pipe Corporation Plant #2

The Universal Sewer Pipe Corporation Plant #2 began its operations about 1920 and was located at the present site of the Skeeter Hollow Farm (owned by Mike and Dawn Smitley), which was formerly Cookson Industrial Site. The plant, which had 14 kilns, specialized in making vitrified clay pipe, flue lining and stove pipe in various sizes that were used by building supply dealers. Employees of the plant belonged to the 501 United Brick and Clay Workers Union. During World War II, while the men were serving in the military, 14 women worked in the sewer pipe plant including Roberta Warner, Fanny Swaldo, Emma Gervasi, Lena Richardson, Mary Kennedy, Betty Krocker, Alice Cooper and Ruth Trimmer.
Floyd “Zeke” Davis was a recording secretary for the Local 501 in 1953 and recalls earning 68 cents an hour. ($5.44 a day) when he began working in the early 1940’s. Others who held office at the this time include President Adrian Rausch, Vice President Bernard Conklin and Treasurer Walter Hammon. The last union meeting was held in December of 1960. There were 73 members at the time of the plant’s closing. Francis “Foxy” Walton was the oldest man in terms of service for Plant #2 at that time. Davis still has some of the minutes recorded during the union meetings and read a portion of them at one of the Goshen Reunions. Read more on Page 8 of Recollections of a Community Part 1.

Advertisements
Categories: Organizations and Businesses | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Goshen Little League

Approximately 40 years ago, the Goshen Little League thrived and was an exciting part of the Goshen Community. Ron Ebert coached the team for a few years and then Daniel D. Carlisle took the reigns. During this time the Midvale Lions sponsored the teams of Goshen, Roswell, Barnhill and Midvale which made up the league. After a few years, Goshen became part of the county league and New Philadelphia donated uniforms to Goshen’s team. Games were played on a ballfied owned by Huck and Ellen Wilson. The property is currently Fox’s Horse Farm. The Wilson’s bought wire fencing and Warner and Swasey made poles to create the backstop.

The community enjoyed taking part of the baseball team. Elsie Starcher was treasurer and ran the concession stand with the held of volunteers. The team had many players during this time and won several tournaments. A Pony League Team (ages 13-17) in Goshen was also dominate the sport for many years.

After Dan Carlisle moved on to coach several other area teams, others stepped in to fill the role of coach. Some them were Louie Krocker, Ed Leggett and Ed Krocker. Following each season, a banquet was held at the Chicken Manor, at Strasburg.

Categories: Organizations and Businesses | Tags: , , , , | Leave a comment

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: