Victor Mauritius (Moritz) Schlafley was born in 1808, in Canton, Berne, Switzerland. He married Mary Elizabeth Yaggi, in 1830 and their children were Mary, Rose, Emma and John, who died as a child. The family decided to come to America with their sea voyage lasting 63 days. From New York Harbor, they went overland to Cleveland, OH and took the Ohio and Erie Cana to Lockport (on the Southside) at New Philadelphia. From there they went to New Castle which is in the Goshen area and decided to settle there, purchasing the south slope of Goshen Hill. The couple then had another son whom they also named John, in 1857. Emma married William Stoecklin and their daughter, Bertha Leona Stoecklin, married Robert Donaldson Carlisle. Moritz Schlafley was awarded his U.S. citizenship and he and his wife are buried in the Zeisberger Memorial Cemetery in Goshen.
Posts Tagged With: Smitley
Posted on October 30, 2011 by Joe Krocker
Categories: Families of Goshen | Tags: Schlafley, Smitley | 1 Comment
Posted on October 15, 2011 by Joe Krocker
Categories: Families of Goshen | Tags: Smitley | Leave a comment
Join 122 other subscribers
Search for anything on this website:
Families – Click on any nameAlbury Badertscher Bass Island Bowers Briggs Brokaw Burgess Carlisle Casebeer Clerici Cookson Cooper Davis Dindo Edwards Freed Garrett Gervasi Gibbs Ginetti Golder Grinstead Guy Haas Haney Hanlon Hibbs Hill Hobart Howard Kennedy Kohler Krocker Leggett Lute Mansill Maurer McKinney McWilliams Mehok Moore Oppy Page Pissocra Poole Putnam Randolph Rausch Reynolds Richardson Robson Rolli Russell Schaar Schlafley Schumacher Shroyer Sickafoose Simmons Smith Smitley Starcher Stein Stover Swaldo Swihart Terazzi Torgler Wallace Walton Warner White Wilson Wolfe Zadra
If you do not see your family above, search for it:
- 2009 Goshen Reunion (1)
- Baseball (2)
- Beidler School (3)
- Beidler Store (1)
- Canal History (4)
- Events (4)
- Families of Goshen (131)
- Family Photos (30)
- Goshen Band (1)
- Goshen Community Church of the Nazarene (3)
- Goshen Hill School (3)
- Goshen Local School (5)
- Goshen Mission Cemetery (1)
- Goshen Neighbor of the Year (1)
- Historic (13)
- Homes of Goshen (1)
- Mines (2)
- Obituary (18)
- Organizations and Businesses (2)
- Places (7)
- Recipes (13)
- Stories (1)
- Uncategorized (59)
- Universal Sewer Pipe Corporation Plant #2 (6)
- Where are they now (3)
- Zeisberger Cemetery (4)
- This site is not updated, go to “Goshen, Ohio – Site Two” for new information!
- Four new pictures were added to the Community of Goshen, Ohio Site Two…
- A new post has been added to the new Goshen Community website….
- Community of Goshen Site Two Website Link…
- Community of Goshen – Site 2 – Coming Soon!!!
- Help! – We need more photos and family stories….
- Dedication of the eternal light at the Zeisberger Cemetery in Goshen > in the 1970s.
- Goshen teenagers waiting at Midvale School in 1935
- Early mailman, John Haas, more info added.
- Early mailman…